2012 Summer Project Week:DifficultRegistration
Registration Result Visualization
- Erasmus Medical Center: Stefan Klein
- University College London: Marc Modat
- UNC: Aditya Gupta, Martin Styner
- BWH: Matthew Toews, Petter Risholm, Dominik Meier, William Wells
To identify solutions to difficult image registration problems that challenge the limits of current technology. Aspects of difficulty will include:
- inter-subject registration
- truncation, missing tissue
- unknown initialization
- inter-species registration
- articulated deformation
A set of difficult pair-wise registration problems will be considered. Participants will discuss workable solutions based on their expertise and background, and these solutions will be documented.
Registration cases can be found here.
- CT: atlas and torso have flipped orientation: Correction Xforms here: Flip CT atlas&torso, zip file with 2 .tfm files
We held a general discussion of registration challenges in the community. Results were generated for head and neck data (Ivan Kolesov), three registration approaches were evaluated on challenging head and body images: (NiftyReg - Marc Modat), (Slicer:BRAINS - Dominik Meier), (SIFT Landmarks - Matthew Toews).
- Registration of difficult brain images is successful, body images remain challenging.
- Registration direction has an important impact, i.e. which images are designed as fixed or moving. Symmetric or bi-directional registration is helpful.
- Masking of problematic image regions, e.g. pathology, is an important but time-consuming pre-processing task that could be further investigated or automated. For instance, interactive masking/segmentation of pathology, linking registration and masking.
Attention Participants: Please log in and update/correct entries in the table below. For bonus points, please provide links or solutions to image registration problems on this page.
|Steven Aylward||Kitware||CT, US, ressection, brain tumors, changing pathology, sliding organ||Sliding Geometry, Geometric Metamorphosis|
|Karl Diedrich||AZE||Rigid registration, abdomen||Multi-resolution registration|
|James Fishbaugh||SCI||Shape analysis and registration|
|Aditya Gupta||UNC||DTI, enlarged lateral ventricles|
|Stefan Klein||Erasmus Medical Center||General Registration|
|Ivan Kolesov||Georgia Tech||Articulated, point-based registration||Plastimatch, NiftyReg||Head Neck Results|
|Dominik Meier||BWH||General registration||Slicer: BRAINS|
|Marc Modat||UCL||neuro-deg. diseases, longitudinal||NiftiReg||Some test res|
|Albert Motillo||GE||Parsing CT, Detection|
|Simrin Nagpal||Queens University||CT/US registration|
|Samon Nuranian||UBC||US-guided intervension, spine|
|Andre Remi||UCLA||Longitudinal changes in TBI, tissue types|
|Peter Risholm||BWH||Brain, head and neck, radiation therapy||Probabilistic Uncertainty|
|Samira Sojoudi||UBC||Spine, CT/US registration|
|Matthew Toews||BWH||General registration||SIFT landmark correspondence|
|Bo Wang||Utah||TBI image segmentation|
|Kevin Wang||Princess Margaret Hospital||Adaptive radiation therapy, longitudinal|
|William Wells||BWH||Interventional applications||Theory: Segmentation, Registration|