This is the main page for the NIH Roadmap National Centers for Biomedical Computing (NCBC) Working Group titled: Biositemaps and the Biomedical Resource Ontology (BRO)
For more information about the NCBCs visit the Top page of ncbcs.org web site which is maintained by the NCBCs themselves
The Biositemaps Working Group of the NIH Roadmap National Centers of Biomedical Computing (NCBC) (www.ncbcs.org) has developed a standard for communicating information on the Internet about biomedical resources (tools, data, software, material, and services). The official public site of the Biositemaps Project is http://www.biositemaps.org/ In addition, the working group is using the biositemaps standard to address (i) locating, (ii) querying, (iii) composing or combining, and (iv) mining biomedical resources on the Internet. Each site which intends to contribute to the inventory instantiates a file on its Internet site ‘'biositemap.rdf' which conforms to a defined Information Model and uses concepts from the Biomedical Resource Ontology (BRO) describe the resources. Each biositemap.rdf file is simply a list of controlled metadata about resources that your organization uses or believes are important to biomedical research.
- The key enabling technologies are the Information Model (IM) which is the list of metadata fields about each resource (Resource_name, description, contact_person, resource_type,...) and
- The Biomedical Resource Ontology (BRO) v2.7 which is a controlled terminology for the 'resource_type', 'area_of_research', and 'biomedical_activity' and which is used to improve the sensitivity and specificity of web searches. This is under development by a number of NIH-funded researchers who have a combined interest in classification of biomedical resources. The publication site for BRO is the BioPortal.
- CIRWP GForge project page: https://bmir-gforge.stanford.edu/gf/project/cirwp_project/
- CIRWP Confluence page (password-protected): https://www.umms.med.umich.edu/confluence/display/CIRWPQT/Home
Current List of Biositemaps Feature Requests
Current List of Biositemaps Search Engines
Current List of Biositemaps FAQs
Current List of URLS that are used by Biositemaps Developers
Current List of Developers Meetings and Minutes
- iTools (biositemaps producer and consumer)
Site last updated: 20090607