From NAMIC Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Home < CTSC:ARRA.111009

Back to CTSC:ARRA supplement


  1. Feedback from meeting about SHRINE
  2. C-find against PACS, planning for a technical test

Harvard Catalyst Medical Informatics group Meeting Minutes November 10, 2009

In attendance:

  • Valerie Humblet
  • Yong Gao
  • Mike Mendis
  • Alexander Zaitsev
  • Wendy Plesniak
  • Jesse Wei
  • Randy Gollub
  • Shawn Murphy
  • Mark Anderson
  • Steve Piper
  • Bill Hanlon
  • Kathy Andriole
  • Charles Guttmann

Feedback on the meeting of the imaging consortium with Susanne Churchill about SHRINE

  • Susanne Churchill gave a presentation of SHRINE business rules, see minutes from the meeting: http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/CTSC:TTIC.111009. There is no conflict with the mi2b2 project, we even will be able to use the same framework. The next action item is to get on the agenda of the meeting of the Senior Vice-presidents of Research of each institution with the Catalyst leadership (Nov 19).


  • The group decided that by February 1st 2010, the technical details of the project must be written.
  • The first step is to get some software connections to the Radiology PACS. We must learn the way to do it at each institution.
    • Osirix might be the software of choice (even if it works only on MAC platform) because it is open source, widely used and already known by the Radiology Deaprtment.
    • We will need to get a table with the inventory of the PACS systems (brand, manager name, person of contact for the project ...)
    • Bill mentioned that at each site we must become an authorized user. That means getting an IP addresses. It is then crucial to know who at each institution gives access to the IP address. The person who owns the IP address will then be granted access to the PACS.
    • All tests will be done inside the firewall and it will be password protected.
    • We will only do query-retrieved and not send back any data to the PACS. Even if most PACS systems will recognize that the study is already in it and will reject it, our intention is not to push back data.
    • In the future there should be the ability to improve the auto-trail of data by having for example a separate track for the clinical data used for research purpose.
    • HIPPA requires individual log in to be able to run an eventual audit. This feature must be built in the system.
    • Having a special dataset (no patient data) to play with would be very useful. According to Mark there is already one at BWH.
    • To be compliant with the IRB process, all the person involved in this project should be CITI trained.
    • Human element factor: we need an allocation from the Radiology department because someone will have to take care of the maintenance of the server. At BWH Kathy's group will take care of it. At BIDMC Jesse will need to know what amount of time the task would required. The role of that person will be written in our budget for Year 3.
    • Yong will check if the server used for XNAT at CHB could be also used to run one of the first tests.

Actions items

  • Estimate how much time it will take to get people to sign on the project.
  • Get all the technical details on how to query the PACS with a software known from the Radiology Department. If Osirix is chosen, we might have to buy a couple of apple computers.
  • Create a table with the PACS managers, who to contact to get an IP address and the physical location of that IP address (a jack must be registered to be recognized by the PACS).