Dissemination:Workshop Dec9-10 Boston
This workshop is currently being planned. Please check back here for updates over the next few days. Tkapur 01:54, 2 Dec 2004 (EST)
Date, Time, Venue
Time: December 9-10, 2004 (8am to 5:30pm both days)
Venue: Demo Room, 1249 Boylston Street, Boston, MA
Goals of workshop
- To provide hands-on training in ITK and Slicer to students and engineers from Cores 1 & 2
- To establish contact between ITK and Slicer experts and the group of students and developers of the NAMIC community.
- To obtain feedback on how ITK and Slicer satisfy the needs of the algorithms that are being developed in Core 1.
'Thursday Dec 9: '
- 7:45-8am: Breakfast
- 8:00-8:15am: File:Workshop Dec9-10 Introduction.ppt(Tina Kapur)
- 8:15am-8:30am: File:OpenSoftwarePhilosophy.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- 8:30-8:40am: File:Dec2004NamicUNCslides.ppt (Martin Styner)
- 8:40-8:50am: File:Dec2004NamicMITslides.ppt (Lauren O'Donnell)
- 8:50-9:00am: File:Dec2004NamicGaTechslides-updated.ppt
- 9am-9:10am: Introductions: all participants introduce themselves
- 9:10am-10:50am: File:Insight-Architecture.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- Generic programming (e.g. STL)
- Smart pointers
- 11am-noon: File:Insight-Filtering.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- Pixel-wise filters e.g. thresholding, sigmoid
- noon-1pm: lunch
- 1pm-2pm: File:Insight-Filtering.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- Mathematical morphology
- Noise reduction, curvature flow, anisotropic diffusion
- 2:10pm-4pm: File:Insight-Segmentation.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- Region growing, confidence, threshold, isolated
- Level sets, fast marching, shape detection, geodesic active contours, canny, threshold, laplacian
- 4:10pm-5:10pm:File:Insight-VTK.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- Exercise ITK+VTK
- 5:10pm-5:30pm: wrap up for day, plans for next day
- 6:00pm: Group dinner. Meet at 1249, if you would like to join.
Friday Dec 10:
- 8am-9am:File:Insight-VTK.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- Exercise ITK+VTK
- 9am-10am: File:Insight-Registration.ppt (Luis Ibanez)
- 10:10am-10:30am: Introduction to LONI Pipeline (Michael Pan)
- 10:30-10:40am: File:Namic-workshop-mgh.ppt (DavidTuch)
- 10:50am-11:30am: Slicer overview (Steve Pieper) Slicer-Overview.ppt
- 11:30am-noon: File:WestinNAMIC-Dec10-2004.pdf (C-F Westin)
- 12-12:30pm: lunch
- 3:30pm-3:45pm: wrap up
List of Attendees
The list of participants for this workshop is here. The workshop is now closed. We appreciate the enthusiastic responses we got for the workshop, and will be arranging a followup workshop for the many others who we were not able to accomodate this time. Stay tuned for the dates for the following workshop.
Preparation for Workshop -- Important Information for all attendees
All attendees are required to complete the following items prior to the workshop. Support will be provided as requested.
- Email answers to some questions about your programming background, NAMIC project, development environment etc. to Tkapur"at"epiphanymedical.com as soon as possible. This will help us customize the workshop to the goals and needs of the group.
- Please install ITK and Slicer as soon as possible, preferably on a machine that you will be bringing to the workshop, and definitely before the course.
- Install ITK using the online ITK Tutorial Getting Started I. This tutorial includes how to download, configure and install ITK, as well as how to run the first minimal examples.
- After installing ITK, download File:ITKExercises.tgz that will be used in the workshop.
- Install Slicer using the online tutorial Started.
We will be happy to assist anybody who may encounter difficulties in the process. As first point of contact, send an email to the NAMIC-developers mailing list (namic-developers "at" na-mic.org) which will be closely monitored by Luis Ibanez, Steve Pieper and other experts in ITK and Slicer. If everyone has completes these tutorials successfully we will be able to focus on how to focus on showing you how to create applications with ITK and Slicer during the workshop.
We will be available at 1249 Boylston on the afternoon before the workshop for anyone who has been unable to do the installation by that time.