Please note that the workshop will start on both days at 10am.
Goals of workshop
- To provide hands-on development training in ITK and Slicer to NAMIC participants and their collaborators
- To establish contact between ITK and Slicer experts and the group of students and developers of the NAMIC community.
- To obtain feedback on how ITK and Slicer satisfy the needs of the algorithms that are being developed in NAMIC
Preparation for Workshop -- Important Information for all attendees
All attendees are required to complete the following items prior to the workshop. Support will be provided as requested.
- Ensure that you are on the mailing list namic-dissemination. If you are not planning on attending the workshop and are on the mailing list, please unsubscribe yourself.
- Complete the background questionaire ASAP
- Please install ITK, VTK, and Slicer as soon as possible, preferably on a machine that you will be bringing to the workshop, and definitely before the course.
- Install ITK using the online ITK Tutorial Getting Started I. This tutorial includes how to download, configure and install ITK, as well as how to run the first minimal examples.
- Install VTK version 4.4 from www.vtk.org. This is needed for the ITK exercises in the next step.
- After installing ITK, download Tar.gz of ITK examples that will be used in the workshop.
If you would like to try a 1-click (maybe 1.5 click) process using Pipeline to install ITK, VTK, and the exercises above, please go to InstallationPipelines.
We will be happy to assist anybody who may encounter difficulties in the process. As first point of contact, send an email to the NAMIC-developers mailing list which will be closely monitored by Luis Ibanez, Steve Pieper and other experts in ITK and Slicer. If everyone has completes these tutorials successfully we will be able to focus on how to focus on showing you how to create applications with ITK and Slicer during the workshop.
We have swapped the agenda for days 1 & 2 of the workshop to allow a little more time for the out of town workshop leaders to try to make it to Boston during the Noreaster. As of now, we are planning to hold the workshop for those who are able to make it. If you are signed up to attend/teach but can't make it in safely, just let us know and we will adjust our plans accordingly. Tkapur 11:09, 23 Jan 2005 (EST)
- 10-10:30am:Welcome and Objectives(Eric Grimson, Tina Kapur)
- 10:30am-noon: Slicer Overview, Slicer Demo, Slicer Build and Deploy System, and Compiling Custom Modules (Steve Pieper)
- noon-12:30pm: lunch
- 12:30-12:50pm DTI Application in Slicer (C-F Westin)
- 12:50-2pm: Slicer Architecture (Steve Pieper)
- 2:00-3:30pm: Integrating ITK/VTK modules in Slicer (Raul San Jose)
- 3:45-4:15pm: Slicer and ITK I/O factory generic readers module (Alex Yarmarkovich)
- 4:15-4:45pm: Developers tools (Steve Pieper)
- 4:45-5pm: wrap-up (Tina Kapur)
- 10:00am-noon: ITK Architecture (Luis Ibanez)
- Generic programming (e.g. STL)
- Smart pointers
- noon-12:30: lunch
- 12:30-1:30pm: ITK Filtering (Luis Ibanez)
- Pixel-wise filters e.g. thresholding, sigmoid
- Mathematical morphology
- Noise reduction, curvature flow, anisotropic diffusion
- 1:45-3pm: ITK Segmentation (Luis Ibanez)
- Region growing, confidence, threshold, isolated
- Level sets, fast marching, shape detection, geodesic active contours, canny, threshold, laplacian
- 3-3:20pm: break
- 3:20-4:50pm: ITK Image Registration (Luis Ibanez)
- 5pm-6pm: Intro to VTK & Combining ITK and VTK (Luis Ibanez)
- Exercise ITK+VTK
- 6pm: Wrap-up (Tina Kapur)