LEGO IGT and Medical Robotics Tutorial
Back to IGT:ToolKit
LEGO Image Guided Therapy and Medical Robotics Tutorial
This tutorial provides a thorough understanding of the main concepts in image-guided therapy and medical robotics, namely imaging, pre-operative planning, targeting by tracking, navigation and registration. The tutorial is open-source and completely free for anyone to use or modify (see http://www.slicer.org for details and for the BSD style open source license).
The tutorial is:
- Hands-on: Using a LEGO robot, a LEGO phantom (anatomical model) and a tutorial module in 3D Slicer v. 3 means that tutorial participants can use real physical equipment and software to learn about IGT and medical robotics.
- Accessible: The tutorial software is open-source, and the cost of the materials is approximately $300 USD + shipping and taxes.
Provided by NA-MIC and the Surgical Planning Lab:
- 3D Slicer v. 3 tutorial module
- CT volume of the phantom
- Tutorial slides
- Assembly instructions for the robot and the phantom
- Phantom placement guide
Provided by tutorial participants:
- 1 LEGO Mindstorms NXT kit
- 1 LEGO Deluxe Brick box
- 2 pom-poms
- Linux computer with root access or Windows with administrator privileges
For purchasing information for user-supplied materials, see the "Tutorial Slides Part 1 - Background and Materials" slides.
Getting the Tutorial Materials:
Click on the following links to get the tutorial materials:
- Robot assembly instructions: LEGOIGTAndMedicalRoboticsTutorial_RobotAssemblyInstructions.pdf
- Phantom assembly instructions: LEGOIGTAndMedicalRoboticsTutorial_PhantomAssemblyInstructions.pdf
- Phantom placement guide: LEGOIGTAndMedicalRoboticsTutorial_PhantomPlacementGuide.pdf
- Tutorial Slides Part 1 - Background and Materials: LEGOIGTAndMedicalRoboticsTutorial_1_BackgroundAndMaterials.pdf
- Tutorial Slides Part 2 - Basic Tutorial: LEGOIGTAndMedicalRoboticsTutorial_2_BasicTutorial.pdf
- Tutorial Slides Part 3 - Advanced Tutorial: LEGOIGTAndMedicalRoboticsTutorial_3_AdvancedTutorial.pdf
- CT volume of the LEGO phantom: 000003.SER.zip
- 3D Slicer LEGO tutorial module (including code to interface between a LEGO robot and a C++ program): Available on the NA-MIC Sandbox - access online or through the NA-MIC subversion system
- MICCAI 2007 "Open Source and Open Data for MICCAI" workshop paper: File:AnAccessibleHandsOnTutorialSystemForIGTAndMedicalRobotics.pdf
Software Installation Instructions
- Note that the code supplied above was modified from NXT++ (http://nxtpp.sourceforge.net) and Device::USB (http://search.cpan.org/~gwadej/Device-USB-0.21) and uses libusb (http://libusb.sourceforge.net). See the README file included with the source code for instructions on installation and use.
Danielle Pace, Surgical Planning Lab and Robarts Research Institute
Ron Kikinis, Surgical Planning Lab
Nobuhiko Hata, Surgical Planning Lab
Contact Danielle Pace