The OpenIGTLink protocol is simple but extensible data format and protocol for seamless network communication among software and devices used in image-guided therapy (IGT) including surgical navigation software, tracking devices, robotic devices, and imaging scanners. The OpenIGTLink protocol is supported in NA-MIC's medical image processing and visualization platform 3D Slicer.
The OpenIGTLink protocol was originally developed in 2008. Currently, the extended protocol is being drafted and will be released as protocol version 2 early 2011. The OpenIGTLink protocol is backward compatible, in the sense that all messages generated by software with OpenIGTLink version 1 interfaces can be imported by software with version 2 interfaces.
Version 2 (in draft)
- Release plan for version 2 protocol
- Version 2 Summary -- What's new in V.2?
- Version 2 Draft Page
- Version 2 Trial
- Matlab / Octave (under development)
Interfaces / Software
Please see the list of hardware that support The OpenIGTLink Protocol.
- Tutorial Materials
- Tutorials on image guided therapy (IGT) using Slicer 3 and OpenIGTLink is available at IGT:ToolKit
- A tutorial on 3D Slicer and Tracker simulator in 3D Slicer OpenIGTLink IF Documentation page.
- Meetings / Workshops
- Tokuda J, Fischer GS, Papademetris X, Yaniv Z, Ibanez L, Cheng P, Liu H, Blevins J, Arata J, Golby AJ, Kapur T, Pieper S, Burdette EC, Fichtinger G, Tempany CM, Hata N.. OpenIGTLink: an open network protocol for image-guided therapy environment. Int J Med Robot. 2009 Dec;5(4):423-34.
- Related web pages
New BSD license ©2008 Insight Software Consortium
Mailing List / Contact
We are launching the OpenIGTLink mailing list (email@example.com). If you would like to join, please subscribe from OpenIGTLink ML Info Page or send Junichi Tokuda (tokuda at bwh.harvard.edu) a message with:
- Your name
- e-mail address you would like to use to post and receive ML articles
- Your research topic
- Luis Ibanez, Ph.D., Kitware
- Junichi Tokuda, Ph.D., BWH
- Csaba Csoma, JHU
- Jack Blevins, Acousticmed
- Patrick Cheng, Ph.D., Georgetown University
- Haying Liu, BWH
- Kiyoyuki Chinzei, Ph.D., AIST, Japan
- Jumpei Arata, Ph.D., Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
- Steve Pieper, Ph.D., Isomics, Inc.
- Yuichiro Hayashi, Ph.D., Nagoya University
- Atsushi Yamada, Ph.D., Nagoya Institute of Technology
- Insight Software Consortium
- Funding Supports
- Enabling Technologies for MRI-Guided Prostate Interventions funded by NIH (PI: Clare Tempany, MD)
- National Center for Image Guided Therapy (NCIGT)
- National Alliance for Medical Image Computing (NA-MIC)
- Intelligent Surgical Instrument Project sponsored by The Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Japan